Canada Learning Code - Kids DayUpcoming Events
From Saturday morning cartoons to blockbuster films, animating has the power to inspire, educate, and entertain.
Traditionally, animation involves drawing several pictures, sometimes thousands, then playing them in sequence to create the illusion of movement. Today, we have digital tools that help us create animations more easily by letting us control characters, backgrounds, and even sounds with code.
This experience offers learners the opportunity to express their creativity in a super fun environment and learn about the different elements of a story, as well as basic design principles. Using Scratch, a beginner level programming environment, learners will create interactive stories through animation. They will also be introduced to Scratch's amazing online community, where they will have the opportunity to upload their projects for others to enjoy!
Each Animating & Storytelling with Scratch workshop has the same flow, but different activities. Come and create a new animation every time!
What will I have learned by the end of this workshop?
- Create algorithms in Scratch
- Design sprites in Scratch
- Use events to control when things happen in my project
- Use conditionals to control what happens in my project
- Use loops to make things happen more than once
- Use the Scratch account I made to KEEP CODING!
Who is this for?
This workshop is for kids ages 9-12. Our workshops are designed to give learning experiences that are fun, engaging, empowering and inspirational. Through hands-on, collaborative, project-based learning, kids end the workshop having built something. This workshop experience is designed to help kids see the technology in a whole new light – as a medium for self-expression, and as a means for changing the world.
Prerequisites: None! Our workshops are designed for absolute beginners!
- 4:1 student-to-mentor ratio with an awesome lead instructor!
- Great venue with a fun, social and inclusive learning environment.
- You must bring your own laptop for which you have administrative permissions.
- Please remember to bring your own power cord. A mouse can come in handy too!
- You may be required to download some free software. After you sign up we will email detailed instructions.
- Learners must bring their own nut-free snacks, plus a water bottle!
Note: If you do not have a laptop to use during the duration of the workshop, we have a limited quantity that we can loan out. The option to borrow a laptop will be included in your order form when registering.
Questions? Email Canada Learning Code at email@example.com